Tuesday, September 13, 2011

When I Breathe In

When I breathe in, I breathe in peace
When I breathe out, I breathe out love

My husband, Ed, and I are members of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Northern Westchester (UUFNW or "the UU" as we like to call it).  The words above are from a beautiful song written by Sarah Dan Jones, that was featured at this week's Sunday service commemorating the tenth anniversary of 9/11.

Singing these uplifting lyrics with the UU congregation immediately brought to mind the yogic practice of Pranayama.  In the past I've focused my Pranayama efforts on manipulating my own internal life force or spirit, but the chorus of Sarah Dan Jones's song has inspired me to use my breath to change not only my own Prana, but the energy of the world around me as well.

During the past few days I've found myself slipping into informal Pranayama sessions at unexpected moments, slowing my breath into a steady rhythm, inhaling peace, holding it in, and exhaling love.  I've filled my lungs with air and tranquility while nursing my baby boy, and emptied them, expelling compassion and joy into the world while navigating through rush hour traffic.  I've breathed in acceptance and contentment while scrubbing dishes, and breathed out affection and appreciation while standing in a long line at Target.

These unanticipated periods of Pranayama have reminded me that my yoga practice doesn't just happen on the mat, and it isn't just about my own body and spirit.  I'm practicing yoga every moment of the day, with every breath I take.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful reminder to live in the moment and with an open heart!

    ReplyDelete